What is an antihistamine?

Antihistamines are medicines that treat mild allergic reactions. Antihistamines come in tablets and liquids. They work by stopping histamine.

Antihistamines work by counteracting histamines, thus reducing the inflammation and irritation caused by histamines. They tend to do the trick, but can have side effects, such as dry nasal cavities, drowsiness and other undesirable conditions.

Antihistamines are medications that block histamine, a substance released by the body in response to allergens.

Some oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine, can cause drowsiness and may be best when taken at night. Daytime antihistamine options include:

• loratadine (Claritin)
  • fexofenadine (Allegra)
  • cetirizine (Zyrtec)

Antihistamines in the form of a nasal spray are only available by prescription and typically are used to treat more severe allergy symptoms. Nasal antihistamines directly target the nasal passages, but may cause a bitter taste and/or headache.

An antihistamine is a type of medication. It lessens the effects of compounds released by the body during an allergic reaction.

Continue Learning about Nasal Agent

What is the best over-the-counter antihistamine?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
When it comes to the best over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines, I try hard to base my preferences n...
What should I know before taking cromolyn?
It is not known if cromolyn is safe or effective for children and adolescents under 18 years of age....
What are the disadvantages of kids using nasal decongestants?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
A medication like oxymetazoline hydrochloride, marketed as Afrin or Neo-Synephrine -- once avail...
How do decongestants interact with other medications?
If you are taking linezolid, nasal decongestants can lead to side effects and should be avoided. If...