Is there a cure for oral cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

It is possible for oral cancer to be cured if it is found before the cancer spreads to the lymph nodes. Unfortunately, if the cancer is found after it spreads to the lymph nodes, the survival rates fall drastically, but it may still be able to be cured. As it is always possible for the cancer to come back, it is important to get regular dental checkups to make sure that the cancer has not returned.

Oral cancer, which can affect your mouth, lips, tongue, as well as other areas around your mouth and throat, can be cured when detected early. The overall 1-year survival rate for patients with all stages of oral cavity and pharynx cancers is 81%. The 5 and 10-year survival rates of those with oral cancer are 56% and 41%, respectively.

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

what is the rate incidence of oral cancer ?
There are 30,000-35,000 new cases of oral cancer diagnosed in the United States every year. This acc...
what happens if my dentist finds signs of oral cancer during my checkup ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Oral cancer can only be diagnosed with a biopsy, when a sample of tissue in the area is removed ...
what is cancer of the lip and oral cavity ?
Cancer of the lip and oral cavity is a disease in which malignant (cancerous) cells form on the lips...
how does oral cancer begin ?
Cancer begins in cells, the building blocks that make up tissues. Tissues make up the organs of the ...