How many people actually die from smoking?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Most smokers are well aware of the harmful health effects of smoking, which kills an estimated 443,000 people in the United States each year—more than alcohol, cocaine, heroin, homicide, suicide, car accidents, fire, and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) combined. Nearly one in five deaths in the United States can be attributed to smoking tobacco.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, 443,000 people die from diseases related to smoking each year.
Smoking deaths are one of the most preventable causes of premature death. Still, each year more than 443,000 people die from this deadly habit. Cigarette smoking accounts for more deaths each year than deaths from murder, car accidents, alcohol or drug use, suicides, and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
According to the World Health Organization, worldwide approximately 5 million people die yearly from smoking.  In the United States the number of smoking-related deaths from 2000 to 2004 was 443,000, of which 49,000 were estimated to be from secondhand smoke.
There are 440,000 in the United States and four million worldwide yearly. It is the leading cause of death in the world higher than infectious disease, greater than obesity, greater than guns

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Does smoking increase my risk of prostate cancer?
Evan P. Pisick, MDEvan P. Pisick, MD
Smoking is not known to increase the risk of prostate cancer, but is linked to increased risk of oth...
Does smoking have any effect on my immune system?
If your immune system is Superman, smoking is kryptonite. Smoking weakens your immune system. The ch...
Can I Reverse the Aging Process Caused by Smoking?
How Does Smoking Affect Women's Risk of Heart Disease?