What should I ask my doctor if I have high blood pressure?

Dianne Zwicke, MD
If you have high blood pressure, discuss any questions you have with your provider. Write your questions down and take them to your next visit. Here are some questions you might want to ask:
  • How often should my blood pressure be checked?
  • Should I check my blood pressure at home?
  • Is it okay to use walk-up blood pressure machines in stores?
  • What do I need to know about my medication?
  • What if I forget to take it? How long will I need to take it?
  • How much salt is okay OK for me?
  • How much alcohol is okay OK for me?
  • How much exercise is safe for me?
Hoyee Chan, MD

If you have high blood pressure, ask your doctor the following:

1. Is there a special diet and/or exercise program to help lower your blood pressure?
  2. Are there mediciations for high blood pressure?
  3. What are the signs and symptoms of untreated high blood pressure?
  4. Whether you have other coexisting medical illnesses like high cholesterol, diabetes, or heart disease.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

7 Ways to Manage High Blood Pressure
7 Ways to Manage High Blood Pressure
If you’re one of the estimated 103 million Americans living with high blood pressure, you’re probably aware that a healthy lifestyle can help you keep...
How will I know if my blood pressure is too high?
It can be difficult to tell if your blood pressure is too high. It is true that some people may have...
12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods
12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods
Looking for delicious foods to help beat back hypertension? Add these to your grocery list.
What Are Normal High Blood Pressure Numbers?