How often should I check my blood pressure if I have hypertension?

If high blood pressure (hypertension) is well controlled with medication, it is not necessary to check your blood pressure routinely. But when you are first diagnosed, some doctors like to have patients check it two to three times a week while at home to establish a baseline.
Hafeza Shaikh, DO
If you have hypertension (high blood pressure) you should have your blood pressure checked in a doctor's office every few months. Your blood pressure can be checked with a primary care doctor or with a specialist. If your numbers are stable, then your blood pressure can just be checked once or twice a year. This is assuming that no changes have been made to your medicines. Certainly, any time there's been a change to the medicines that are treating high blood pressure, then you want to have your blood pressure checked at least a few weeks after that change has been made, just to make sure that things are stable.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

Hypertension

Hypertension

Clinically known as hypertension, high blood pressure can cause a host of problems if left untreated. The most common type of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure causes our hearts to work harder by forcing blood to push ag...

ainst the walls of our arteries at an elevated level. Hypertension is the leading cause of strokes and heart attack. It also increases your risk of having heart and kidney failure and hardening of the arteries, a condition called atherosclerosis.