How often should I check my blood pressure if I have hypertension?

If you have hypertension (high blood pressure) you should have your blood pressure checked in a doctor's office every few months. Your blood pressure can be checked with a primary care doctor or with a specialist. If your numbers are stable, then your blood pressure can just be checked once or twice a year. This is assuming that no changes have been made to your medicines. Certainly, any time there's been a change to the medicines that are treating high blood pressure, then you want to have your blood pressure checked at least a few weeks after that change has been made, just to make sure that things are stable.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

If high blood pressure (hypertension) is well controlled with medication, it is not necessary to check your blood pressure routinely. But when you are first diagnosed, some doctors like to have patients check it two to three times a week while at home to establish a baseline.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

Can You Spot Hidden High Blood Pressure?
From Ancient Greece through the 18th century, physicians believed that bloodletting expelled bad blood, or humors, out of the body, expelling disease ...
What are the stages of chronic hypertension for adults?
Here are the stages of chronic hypertension: In stage 1 hypertension, your blood pressure measureme...
America's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood Pressure
America's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood PressureAmerica's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood PressureAmerica's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood PressureAmerica's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood Pressure
Find out where residents struggle with hypertension
What Can I Eat to Lower My Blood Pressure?