How often should I check my blood pressure if I have hypertension?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If high blood pressure (hypertension) is well controlled with medication, it is not necessary to check your blood pressure routinely. But when you are first diagnosed, some doctors like to have patients check it two to three times a week while at home to establish a baseline.

If you have hypertension (high blood pressure) you should have your blood pressure checked in a doctor's office every few months. Your blood pressure can be checked with a primary care doctor or with a specialist. If your numbers are stable, then your blood pressure can just be checked once or twice a year. This is assuming that no changes have been made to your medicines. Certainly, any time there's been a change to the medicines that are treating high blood pressure, then you want to have your blood pressure checked at least a few weeks after that change has been made, just to make sure that things are stable.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

Nearly Half of American Adults Have Heart Disease
Nearly half of all adults in the United States—more than 121.5 million people—have some form of heart disease, according to a January 2019 report from...
What are the types of chronic hypertension?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
The two types of chronic hypertension are: Essential: This is the most common type of hypertension. ...
12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods
12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods
Looking for delicious foods to help beat back hypertension? Add these to your grocery list.
What is the DASH Diet?
What is the DASH Diet?