How does high blood pressure affect my health?

High blood pressure is dangerous because it makes your heart work harder and contributes to atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). It can increase the risk for heart disease, stroke, congestive heart failure, kidney disease and blindness.

High blood pressure (hypertension) can affect your health by increasing your risk of heart attack, stroke and kidney disease. It is important to be screened for hypertension at your doctor's office and to take your medication as directed if you have high blood pressure. If you do have high blood pressure, talk with your doctor about ways to reduce your risk of health-related problems from high blood pressure through diet and exercise.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

The Mysteries of High Blood Pressure
The Mysteries of High Blood Pressure
When we hear "high blood pressure," most of us think about cutting back on sodium. But the causes of high blood pressure are so much more complex than...
Can I lower my blood pressure by reducing my salt intake?
A common first step in treating hypertension is to reduce salt intake. Why? To lower blood pressu...
America's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood Pressure
America's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood PressureAmerica's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood PressureAmerica's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood PressureAmerica's Top 10 Cities with the Highest Blood Pressure
Find out where residents struggle with hypertension
Ending Childhood Obesity to Improve Adult Health