How can I care for someone with high blood pressure?

Most people with high blood pressure will be able to care of themselves. However, if you are responsible for someone with high blood pressure it's important to make sure they follow the treatment plan laid out by their doctor and you'll need to schedule appointments for check ups as well. In between doctor visits make sure your loved one is staying active and eating a healthy diet. Also do your best to keep stress levels low. A relaxed and comfortable home environment is important.

Darin K. Winn, MD
Family Medicine

In addition to taking the medication prescribed by your physician and following proper diet and exercise, I find it very helpful for my patients to have a home blood pressure cuff. These can be picked up at most pharmacies. Keep a log of your home blood pressure readings and show the log to your physician at each visit. 

Continue Learning about Hypertension

Finally, a Solution to Treatment-Resistant High Blood Pressure
Sam Cohn, the legendary talent agent and co-founder of ICM, was one of the infamous “10 percenters” who transformed Hollywood into a star-making machi...
What numbers are considered high blood pressure?
Dr. Mehrdad K. Ariani, MDDr. Mehrdad K. Ariani, MD
Blood pressure readings are usually given as two numbers—for example, 120 over 80 (written as 120/80...
12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods
12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods12 Blood Pressure-Friendly Foods
Looking for delicious foods to help beat back hypertension? Add these to your grocery list.
Is Hypertension Linked to Other Health Issues?