How can I care for someone with high blood pressure?

Darin K. Winn, MD
Family Medicine

In addition to taking the medication prescribed by your physician and following proper diet and exercise, I find it very helpful for my patients to have a home blood pressure cuff. These can be picked up at most pharmacies. Keep a log of your home blood pressure readings and show the log to your physician at each visit. 

Most people with high blood pressure will be able to care of themselves. However, if you are responsible for someone with high blood pressure it's important to make sure they follow the treatment plan laid out by their doctor and you'll need to schedule appointments for check ups as well. In between doctor visits make sure your loved one is staying active and eating a healthy diet. Also do your best to keep stress levels low. A relaxed and comfortable home environment is important.

Continue Learning about Hypertension

The Mysteries of High Blood Pressure
The Mysteries of High Blood Pressure
When we hear "high blood pressure," most of us think about cutting back on sodium. But the causes of high blood pressure are so much more complex than...
Can reducing salt intake lower blood pressure?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
While losing excess weight and cutting back on dietary sodium can have a dramatic impact on lowering...
What are the target goals of high blood pressure treatment?
Merle Myerson, MDMerle Myerson, MD
The target goal for high blood pressure treatment is 140/90. In this video, cardiologist Merle Myers...
What You Should Know About Belly Fat
What You Should Know About Belly Fat