What are natural treatments for hypertension?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are several alternative treatments for hypertension. Eating nutritious meals daily and getting a sufficient amount of rest will help with problems of fatigue. Oftentimes, even modest amounts of activity are still difficult for some people with hypertension. However, it is still important to get some form of physical activity in order to extend the quality of your life. Consult with your doctor about what kind of exercise is best for you. A small square of 70 percent dark chocolate daily may help lower systolic blood pressure, but eat less than an ounce as it is high in calories. Other forms of alternative treatment for hypertension include steering clear of stress, smoking, birth control pills, environments where the altitude is above 8,000 feet, and actions that lower your blood pressures, such as resting in a sauna or hot tub for five to ten minutes or taking hot baths and showers (but do not fluctuate between hot and cold water). Make sure to let your doctor know about any supplements you are taking, as some of them may interact with medications for high blood pressure or even raise blood pressure (such as ephedra and licorice root).

Blood pressure is a measurement of the pressure as the heart pumps and blood flows in the arteries. Cardiovascular exercise will help to strengthen the heart, slow down heart rate, and decrease pressure in the arteries. Additional tips include:

• Maintain a healthy weight
  • Decrease salt intake
  • Decrease fat intake
  • Limit alcohol use
  • Stop smoking
  • Reduce stress

Continue Learning about High Blood Pressure Treatment

can eating protein lower my blood pressure ?
Instead of that doughnut, reach for plain, nonfat Greek yogurt, leftover roast chicken, a slice ...
how much do i need to walk to lower my blood pressure ?
A mere 30 minutes of walking three times a week has been shown to drop blood pressure 5 points in 12...
how do direct renin inhibitors control high blood pressure ?
Aliskiren (Tekturna) is the first drug in the class of renin inhibitors to be approved by the U....
why is not my beta blocker enough to treat my blood pressure ?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Beta blockers like metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL) are not great medications for lowering bloo...