Will I need to follow a special diet if I have high blood pressure?

If you have high blood pressure (hypertension) and are overweight, your healthcare provider may want you to lose weight. Also, most healthcare providers recommend a diet that is low in fat and salt as part of the treatment for patients with high blood pressure. Spices and herbs can be used in place of salt to add flavor to food.

Your healthcare provider can also refer you to a registered dietitian who will help you learn more about eating the right foods in the right amounts to help control your blood pressure. If you have kidney disease or diabetes, you should not make changes to your diet without speaking to your healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about High Blood Pressure Treatment

Treat Your High Blood Pressure, Boost Your Heart
When confronting a health problem, sometimes medications or other treatment strategies work wonders—and sometimes the results are less dramatic. One t...
How effective is low-dose aspirin in treating high blood pressure?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Low-dose aspirin reduces the rate of strokes and heart attacks by 25% or more. A higher dose does no...
What blood pressure medications are better to take long term?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The most commonly prescribed blood pressure medication, a diuretic, is often least tolerated for...
What Are Natural Treatments for Hypertension?