How much do I need to walk to lower my blood pressure?

A mere 30 minutes of walking three times a week has been shown to drop blood pressure 5 points in 12 weeks. Overachievers, knock yourselves out. With walking, more really is better. Aim to walk every day.

Dr. Ozgen Dogan
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Walking at a moderate pace just 30 minutes, 5 times a week will reduce your blood pressure. The goal is to elevate your heart rate and breathing somewhat while being able to maintain a conversation. If you're breathing too hard to talk, slow your pace down.

It’s impossible to give a hard number for how much you need to walk to lower your blood pressure. The recommendation is to try to get 30 minutes at least three to five times a week of exercise. There’s a Korean study that showed walking 40 minutes a day lowered blood pressure, but only there were only 23 people in the study. I don’t know if there’s any major study. I don’t tell people about blood pressure per se, but according to the American Heart Association, you should be getting 150 minutes a week, or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise a week.

Continue Learning about High Blood Pressure Treatment

Treat Your High Blood Pressure, Boost Your Heart
When confronting a health problem, sometimes medications or other treatment strategies work wonders—and sometimes the results are less dramatic. One t...
How can eating low-fat dairy help lower blood pressure?
In a recent study, a diet that was rich in low-fat dairy seemed to help curb the risk of high bl...
Are there alternative treatments for secondary high blood pressure?
You might be able to lower your secondary high blood pressure using alternative treatments but the...
What's a Natural Remedy for High Blood Pressure?