What lifestyle changes should I make to prevent high blood pressure?

You can consider the following key lifestyle changes for healthy blood pressure:
  • Have your blood pressure checked regularly.
  • Take prescribed blood pressure medications as directed.
  • Quit smoking.
  • Eat a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in sodium.
  • Maintain a normal body weight based on body-mass index (BMI) guidelines.
  • Get or stay active by taking brisk walks daily.

The risk factors for high blood pressure (or hypertension) that you can change are lifestyle activities. Following are some lifestyle changes you can make to reduce your risk for high blood pressure:

• Diet. Try to watch your diet -- try a low salt diet and cut back on foods that have higher cholesterol or higher fat. Limit sodium, sweets and red meats.
  • Smoking. Cut down on smoking. Preferably avoid it and stop smoking all together.
  • Alcohol. Limit your alcohol intake.
  • Activity level. Your weight, obesity and being inactive are going to put you at a higher risk for high blood pressure. 

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about High Blood Pressure Prevention

Nap for Lower Blood Pressure
Nap for Lower Blood Pressure
High blood pressure (HBP) affects about 33 percent of Americans—almost 78 million folks. If that stat seems staggering, consider what it is for athlet...
How often should I check my blood pressure if I have hypertension?
If high blood pressure (hypertension) is well controlled with medication, it is not necessary to che...
How can strawberries help prevent high blood pressure?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Strawberries are a great ally in treating and preventing high blood pressure. About eight strawb...
How Does Obesity Affect the Body?
How Does Obesity Affect the Body?