Can eating whole grains reduce my risk of high blood pressure?

Piling your favorite sandwich fixings on the right kind of bread could mean healthier blood pressure. The right choice? One hundred percent whole-grain. A recent study showed that a diet high in whole grains may help reduce the risk of high blood pressure by as much as 20 percent. And all you have to do is check a label!

The story continues to unfold, but experts have some good guesses about how whole grains work their blood-pressure-lowering magic. It's a one-two punch: Whole grains contain potassium, which is the king of all blood-pressure taming minerals, and fiber, which helps you stay blood-pressure-friendly slim. Whole grains also make blood vessels more flexible—important for preventing pressure buildup in arteries.

Continue Learning about High Blood Pressure Prevention

3 Nutrients That Help Prevent High Blood Pressure
The time-worn axiom “good things come in threes” was said by ancient Romans (omne trium perfectum) and has been advocated by as distinguished a mind a...
Can pulmonary hypertension be prevented?
Although pulmonary hypertension is hereditary for some people, lifestyle changes such as eating righ...
What lifestyle changes should I make to prevent high blood pressure?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
You can consider the following key lifestyle changes for healthy blood pressure:Have your blood pres...
How Does Obesity Affect the Body?
How Does Obesity Affect the Body?