What chemicals are involved in sleep and wakefulness?

Interestingly, sleep is your body's default state; you're supposed to be in a sleep state all the time. The way you fall asleep is through the activation of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid, or GABA.

Now, the reason you're not asleep is that your hypothalamus secretes a chemical called acetylcholine to wake you up. When you're asleep for a long time, you experience a buildup of chemicals, and the acetylcholine wins. (That's how caffeine seems to work, by influencing levels of acetylcholine.) In contrast, a chemical called adenosine builds up with activity and hinders acetylcholine, so we get tired.

As the day wears on, your sleep drive builds as acetylcholine and other chemicals that induce wakefulness decline. Meanwhile, your melatonin rises several hours before bedtime, eventually overpowering what's left of your acetylcholine. So if you have trouble sleeping, then it's actually your preparation for your default state that's broken, indicating you have a very fundamental biological defect that needs some examining.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

From the Authors of the #1 Bestselling YOU: On A Diet and YOU: On a WalkWouldn't you like to know how to prevent your body from aging badly? Most of us believe that at age 40 or so, we begin the slow...

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Sleep Problems Are Not Inevitable as You Age
“To sleep, perchance to dream,” from Hamlet, is an elusive wish for a lot who are 65 and older. In fact, almost half of Americans over the age of 65 s...
How can I use a mantra to help me fall asleep?
A mantra is a form of meditation that consists of the repetition of a word or a phrase. The prac...
Can caffeine make up for a lack of sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Caffeine can certainly mask the effects of sleep deprivation by waking you up, but you still need re...
What Should I Think About When Choosing a Sleep Tracker?