At what age can my child have beets?

Most pediatricians will say at about 10 months you can introduce beets into your baby’s diet. Steaming beats for easy mashing into a baby food is the best preparation. Beets are low on the list of pesticide use making them relatively safe for any age group (you may find your baby’s feces slightly red-colored after eating beets so don’t be alarmed, that’s normal). By the way, in adults, regularly drinking beet juice has been found to lower blood pressure, slightly improve exercise performance and blood flow to the brain. Beets are naturally rich in nitrates, which from vegetables are actually good for you (not like the nitrates in cured or processed meats) because once in the body they convert to nitric oxide, leading to increases in tissue blood flow.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Don’t Fall for Athlete-Sponsored Endorsements
Children 12-17 are the #1 viewers of athlete-sponsored food commercials. So what are top sports figures selling this impressionable audience? Mostly j...
How can I control the amount of caffeine in my child's diet?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Parents that wish to limit their children’s consumption of caffeine need to read the labels of foods...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
Healthy Eating Advice for College Kids
Healthy Eating Advice for College Kids