At what age can my child have beets?

Most pediatricians will say at about 10 months you can introduce beets into your baby’s diet. Steaming beats for easy mashing into a baby food is the best preparation. Beets are low on the list of pesticide use making them relatively safe for any age group (you may find your baby’s feces slightly red-colored after eating beets so don’t be alarmed, that’s normal). By the way, in adults, regularly drinking beet juice has been found to lower blood pressure, slightly improve exercise performance and blood flow to the brain. Beets are naturally rich in nitrates, which from vegetables are actually good for you (not like the nitrates in cured or processed meats) because once in the body they convert to nitric oxide, leading to increases in tissue blood flow.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Why should my children eat whole grains?
Grains provide carbohydrate -- the body’s main energy source -- which helps kids get up and go. Lear...
Why is good nutrition important for my child?
Proper nutrition influences brain development, behavior, and attention span. Learn more from our exp...
How often should children eat each day?
How often should children eat each day? Most children and teens need to eat every three to four hour...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas. For many parents, the most challenging thing about school isn’t picking up the kids from soccer pr...