question

Is it better exercise to walk on grass or pavement?

Jonathan Penney
Jonathan Penney on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine
Fitness
answer

Walking on grass will be better than walking on pavement.  The impact from walking is minimal so you should be able to walk on both surfaces with minimal stress on your body.  However, walking on grass will give you the extra cushion that may benefit your body, especially if you have knee, hip, or back pain.  On the reverse, many people do not have access to grassy route and walking on pavement might be more convenient.  Again, either surface will be light impact on your body so I recommend choosing what is most convenient to keep you active!

Continue Learning about Walking

How to Keep Life from Getting in the Way of Your Walk
Problem? What problem? Here's what to do to get back in the groove when you're up against any situation. What to Do: When You're About to Break Your ...
Find the Right Walking Shoes
Find the Right Walking Shoes
The Shoe Check The toe should be wide enough that toes aren't pinched. This is extra important if you have any foot issues like bunions or Morton's n...
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Hiking Your Way to Better Health
Hawaii has long been ranked as one of the healthiest states in the country, but many residents struggle to stay active. The Department of Health and H...
How many calories can I burn walking the dog?
How many calories can I burn walking the dog? Depending on your pace and the temperament of the dog,...