There's no easier way to feel better, get in shape, slim down and enjoy the outdoors than walking. And no need to pay gym fees, buy fancy equipment or schlep across town. Here's what you need to know to get started.Try Our 10K Steps A Day Challenge
Sure, you walk every day, but walking for exercise is more demanding than a stroll around the house. Hitting the pavement puts you at risk for pitfalls ranging from darkness to dehydration. Be a savvy walker, and follow these tips to keep you safe -- and keep you moving.Walk to Build Brain Power
Exercise Your Body and Your BrainTry Brain Fit Life
AskMDGot foot or ankle pain? Find out more about your symptoms
The average number of steps Americans take each day
Harris Interactive, Inc.
Michael Roizen, MD
Sharecare Advisory Board
Why should I walk 10,000 steps a day?
Experts don't quite know why walking 10,000 steps a day (about 5 miles) works, but they do know that 10,000 seems to be the minimum . . .
- Q Why should I walk 10,000 steps a day?
- Q How can I stick to a walking routine?
- Q How long should I walk to burn calories?
- Q How can I get the most out of walking for exercise?
- Q What can I do if I freeze when walking?
- Q How can I lose weight by walking?
- Q How can I improve my walking form?
- Q How can I fit walking into my work day?
- Q Why isn’t walking helping me lose weight?
- Q What is spirited walking?
Recent Walking Articles
If you're ready to boost your fitness and walk to better health, follow our action plans to start on the right foot.
The Hidden Health Benefits of Walking Walk This Way Free Pedometer Apps for Smartphones The Five-Minute Walking Miracle See All Articles