There's no easier way to feel better, get in shape, slim down and enjoy the outdoors than walking. And no need to pay gym fees, buy fancy equipment or schlep across town. Here's what you need to know to get started.Try Our 4-Week Walking Plan
Sure, you walk every day, but walking for exercise is more demanding than a stroll around the house. Hitting the pavement puts you at risk for pitfalls ranging from darkness to dehydration. Be a savvy walker, and follow these tips to keep you safe -- and keep you moving.Walk to Build Brain Power
Exercise Your Body and Your BrainTry Brain Fit Life
AskMDGot foot or ankle pain? Find out more about your symptoms
The average number of steps Americans take each day
Harris Interactive, Inc.
How can I stay motivated with a walking and exercise program?
It is natural to lose motivation to continue a walking or exercise program. But the health benefits you give up by stopping are too great. Here are common reasons for losing motivation for an exercise program and things you can do to keep going . . .
- Q How can I fit a walking schedule into my busy day?
- Q What foods should I eat when starting a walking program?
- Q How can I set walking goals?
- Q How much walking do I need to do to lose weight?
- Q How can I stick to a walking routine?
- Q How should I warm up before walking?
- Q How can I dress appropriately when walking outside?
- Q How can I build up to walking 10,000 steps a day?
- Q How can I make my daily walk more interesting?
- Q How can I make my walks more effective?
Walking Action Plans
If you're ready to boost your fitness and walk to better health, follow our action plans to start on the right foot.
Don’t Be a Digital Deadwalker Fit Walking Into Your Workday Walking to Ease Stress Finding a Walking Group Learn More: See All Walking Articles
Chicken Yakitori Satay Style
This time-saving dish is full of flavor -- and protein to help fuel your workout. Have it with steamed rice two to three hours before walking.
Best Snacks for Walking
Boost your recovery with a high-protein snack after your walk. Nuts, hummus, and yogurt are all good choices to satisfy your post-workout hunger.