There's no easier way to feel better, get in shape, slim down and enjoy the outdoors than walking. And no need to pay gym fees, buy fancy equipment or schlep across town. Here's what you need to know to get started.
Sure, you walk every day, but walking for exercise is more demanding than a stroll around the house. Hitting the pavement puts you at risk for pitfalls ranging from darkness to dehydration. Be a savvy walker, and follow these tips to keep you safe -- and keep you moving.Walk to Build Brain Power
Exercise Your Body and Your BrainTry Brain Fit Life
AskMDGot foot or ankle pain? Find out more about your symptoms
The average number of steps Americans take each day
Harris Interactive, Inc.
Michael Roizen, MD
Sharecare Advisory Board
Why should I walk 10,000 steps a day?
Experts don't quite know why walking 10,000 steps a day (about 5 miles) works, but they do know that 10,000 seems to be the minimum . . .
- Q What is a good speed when walking for fitness?
- Q What can I use when walking if I don’t have a pedometer?
- Q Where are good places to walk with my family?
- Q How do I motivate myself to walk for fitness?
- Q What foods should I avoid when starting a walking program?
- Q What are fun games to play during a nature walk with children?
- Q Are sports drinks good for hydration when walking?
- Q Why isn’t walking helping me lose weight?
- Q How can I make walking part of my life?
- Q How can I stick to a walking routine?