Should I make my kids eat foods they don't like?

You always want to try to avoid a power struggle at the dinner table with your children. Studies show that children who are forced to eat foods they don't like, or try new foods they don't want to, they are less likely to eat these foods then children who are left to decide for themselves. Remember, as a parent you are responsible for providing your child with healthy foods and appropriate portion sizes, but your child is then responsible for deciding how much and even whether they want to eat.

If your child does not like a certain food, keep offering the food to them, but never force them to eat it. Studies also show that it may take offering a child a certain food numerous times before they will even decide to try it. However, if you force your child to eat foods they don't like you will most likely turn them away from ever eating these foods again.

Lead by example. Children are very "monkey see, monkey do" and like to model the behaviors of their parents. Keep offering your child foods they don't like, show them that you enjoy eating these foods, but then let your child decide for themselves whether they want to eat the food or not.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

How can I help my child eat more whole grains?
To get more whole grains, start the day with a bowl of hot oatmeal or whole grain cereal with sliced...
Is it okay for my child to skip meals?
When kids skip an occasional meal, it’s usually no big deal. Learn more from our experts about eatin...
At what age can my child have beets?
Most pediatricians will say at about 10 months you can introduce beets into your baby’s diet. Learn ...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas. For many parents, the most challenging thing about school isn’t picking up the kids from soccer pr...