How much soybean and soy products should I eat?

Toby Smithson

Based on clinical and epidemiological studies, recommendations for adult intake of soy protein is 15-25 grams per day or 2-4 servings of soy foods per day. Studies done on young girls show the beneficial results for decreasing breast cancer risk and the recommendations are for young girls to be sure to eat at least one serving of soy foods per day. A serving of soy foods is: ½ cup tofu; 1 cup soymilk; or ½ cup edamame. Soy foods are a healthy addition to everyone’s diet unless they have an allergy to soy (which is rare among adults).

Vandana  R. Sheth

Depending on if you are vegetarian/vegan or if you eat a wide variety of foods the amount of soy products recommended would vary. In general, ~ 3 soy protein servings/day is suggested as part of a healthy diet. 1 serving=1 cup of soy milk or 1/2 cup of tofu.

Until the jury sets the record straight and says with confidence that dietary soy is indeed without risk, soy should be eaten in moderation as part of a healthy plant-based diet that also includes lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains.

Soy protein is a still a great substitute for animal protein and dairy, which is high in saturated fat. As a general rule, women need to consume 46 grams of protein per day, while men need to 56 (roughly 0.80 grams of good quality protein/kg body weight/day).

So here's the bottom line, for now:
  • Limit soy to one serving a day (no more than 30 milligrams of isoflavones).
  • Choose good quality soy such as tofu, tempeh and miso.
  • Skip the “frankensoy” processed soyfoods.
  • Avoid soy supplements made from isolated soy components such as isoflavones like genistein and daidzein.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Healthy Gluten-Free Foods Worth Eating
Healthy Gluten-Free Foods Worth Eating
Americans spend a whopping $10.5 billion a year on gluten-free foods, including calorie bombs like zero-gluten cakes, pizza, fast-food fries and, new ...
What can I do if I only like white bread?
Keri GansKeri Gans
Have you tried whole wheat bread? One of my patients, a self-described “picky eater,” claimed to dis...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in. Seems like a new study comes out nearly every day telling us to eat this, not that. But ...
What's a Good Food to Incorporate Into Family Meals?