How soon after a sprain can I start exercising again?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
It really depends on the severity of the sprain. I base it on your pain.

After a sprain, I like to advise my patients to rest for a couple of days, elevate the area, and apply ice.  Once it begins to feel better, such that you don’t have pain just by doing normal things (sitting, standing, walking), then you can start to exercise slowly. Start with gentle exercises, such as using a resistance band to strengthen the area, or low-impact cardio activities like walking.

Also, it’s always important to look at why you sprained something. Are the muscles around that joint weak? If so, you’re going to be at risk for spraining it again, and you’d benefit from physical therapy.

Remember, listen to your body. There’s no one, set date after which you can exercise.  If you feel pain, stop.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
What are symptoms of a sprained wrist?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A wrist sprain typically causes general pain around the wrist when it is moved in several directions...
What is the treatment for a foot sprain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
If you sustain a foot sprain, follow the RICE regimen ( rest, ice, compression, and elevation), ...