What are the benefits of lowering cholesterol?

The benefits of lowering your cholesterol include decreasing your chance of plaque formation in your arteries. Plaque in your arteries can lead to strokes, heart attacks, and peripheral artery disease. Other ways of decreasing your risk for these diseases include quitting smoking, incorporating a heart diet, and exercising at least 30 minutes for 5 days a week.

Continue Learning about High Cholesterol

3 Diet Plans for Better Cholesterol
3 Diet Plans for Better Cholesterol
If you've been diagnosed with high cholesterol, your doctor has probably recommended a change in your diet to get your numbers down. Fortunately, you ...
How common is high cholesterol?
Robert S. Kaufmann, MDRobert S. Kaufmann, MD
High cholesterol is very common. I would say about 70 percent of my patients have high cholesterol. ...
What medications treat high cholesterol?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Taking a statin helps lower your LDL-cholesterol to lower your heart disease risk. It is important t...
What's the Best Exercise to Lower Cholesterol?