What are the basic skills needed for gymnastics?

Basic skills required for the gymnast are flexibility, core strength, balance, upper and lower-body strength, power, mental focus, discipline, and dedication. Although not necessarily a skill, commitment is mandatory and is often assessed by gymnastic coaches. Basic skills can be trained, and most are taught by a coach. All skills can be learned by using proper technique and having a tenacious attitude. Technique is the crucial foundation to increase skill level and become proficient with all functional movement.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

What flexibilitly warm-ups can I do for gymnastics?
To start, you can foam roll the tight regions of the body to help loosen up the muscles. Some ke...
What dynamic stretches can I do for gymnastics?
Dynamic stretches are a great preactivity warm-up and should be included for all athletes. These...
How many times per week should I be doing cardio training for gymnastics?
Cardiovascular training for gymnasts be should added for varying amounts of time depending on th...
Will balance tools help my gymnastics?
Balance training with the right tools can be very fun, rewarding, and increase confidence during...