What are the basic skills needed for gymnastics?

Basic skills required for the gymnast are flexibility, core strength, balance, upper and lower-body strength, power, mental focus, discipline, and dedication. Although not necessarily a skill, commitment is mandatory and is often assessed by gymnastic coaches. Basic skills can be trained, and most are taught by a coach. All skills can be learned by using proper technique and having a tenacious attitude. Technique is the crucial foundation to increase skill level and become proficient with all functional movement.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

Will balance tools help my gymnastics?
Balance training with the right tools can be very fun, rewarding, and increase confidence during...
Can kettlebell training help gymnasts with endurance?
Kettlebell training has become an increasingly popular training modality for athletes including ...
Will strength training help my gymnastics?
Yes, strength training will help in gymnastics. Due to the demands in the sport, strength traini...
Are there balance drills for gymnasts?
Balance is a huge component of gymnastics and drills can enhance performance. Drills for balance i...