Are there balance drills for gymnasts?

Balance is a huge component of gymnastics and drills can enhance performance. Drills for balance include single-leg squats, step-ups to balance, single-leg stabilization with single-arm press, and multiplanar hops. Balance drills can be challenged with unstable tools such as a foam pad, half foam roller, or dyna disc. Exercise progressions should always be carefully incorporated so that no movement compensations occur and proper technique is maintained. Training balance drills improperly can lead to detrimental effects and even injury. Balance drills done properly can contribute to outstanding results for optimal athletic performance.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

What can cause muscular imbalances in gymnasts?
In gymnastics, as well as other sports, common causes for muscle imbalances include postural str...
Will strength training help my gymnastics?
Yes, strength training will help in gymnastics. Due to the demands in the sport, strength traini...
Are gymnastic events considered aerobic or anaerobic?
Gymnastics events are anaerobic, but the practices involve a lot of the aerobic system with quic...
What can help me avoid injury during a gymnastics dismount?
The dismount off of an apparatus is more dangerous than other landings due to the higher force o...