Are gymnastic events considered aerobic or anaerobic?

Gymnastics events are anaerobic, but the practices involve a lot of the aerobic system with quick anaerobic bursts.  During the season, perform aerobic conditioning on recovery days to continue building an aerobic base while letting the rest of the body recover from the long practice sessions.  The events and gymnastic routines in competition are short but performed at a high intensity, which means they are more anaerobic.  The anaerobic system for a gymnast does not need additional work using cardiovascular equipment or outside sprinting.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

What can help me stick my landings in gymnastics?
Sticking the landing in gymnastics refers to a non-wobbling finish off an apparatus or at the co...
Do gymnasts need flexibility training?
Yes! Although most gymnasts are naturally flexible, some are only flexible in certain areas. There i...
What are the most common injuries in gymnastics?
Unfortunately, injuries are common in gymnastics due to the phenomenal physicality of the sport....
What should a beginning gymnast do to prevent injury?
A beginning gymnast needs to understand the complete definition of body awareness and focus before t...