What is the best way to thaw frozen foods?

Marisa Moore
There are 3 ways to safely thaw frozen foods: in the refrigerator overnight, under cool running water or in the microwave just before cooking. 

Do not allow frozen foods to thaw on the counter or in the sink.

For more information on food safety visit www.homefoodsafety.org.
Perishable foods should never be thawed on the counter, or in hot water and should not be left at room temperature for more than two hours. Even though the center of the package may still be frozen as it thaws on the counter, the outer layer of the food could be in the "Danger Zone," between 40 and 140 °F -- temperatures where bacteria multiply rapidly. When thawing frozen food, it's best to plan ahead and thaw in the refrigerator where it will remain at a safe, constant temperature -- around 40 °F.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

How should mustard greens be stored?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Mustard greens should be stored in a perforated plastic bag in the refrigerator, where they should k...
How can I store coconuts?
Mature coconuts are available in most grocery stores. Store them in a dry, cool area if you purchase...
How should I store maple syrup?
Maple syrup can be purchased in small individual containers or in bulk. Syrup quality varies by colo...
How can I store rice?
As the oil in brown rice can turn rancid, keep it in the refrigerator. White rice is fine in a cool,...