question

What is the best way to thaw frozen foods?

dotFIT
dotFIT
answer
Perishable foods should never be thawed on the counter, or in hot water and should not be left at room temperature for more than two hours. Even though the center of the package may still be frozen as it thaws on the counter, the outer layer of the food could be in the "Danger Zone," between 40 and 140 °F -- temperatures where bacteria multiply rapidly. When thawing frozen food, it's best to plan ahead and thaw in the refrigerator where it will remain at a safe, constant temperature -- around 40 °F.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

How should jicama be stored?
Whole jicama can be kept in a cool, dark place for up to two weeks. Learn more from our contributors...
How can I store almonds?
Store shelled almonds in a tightly-sealed container in a cool, dry place. Learn more from our contri...
How can I store pistachio nuts?
The nut meats, even those still in the shell should be stored in an airtight container in the refrig...
How long can food be left at room temperature safely?
Don't leave any food out at room temperature for more than two hours. Less than one hour is best. Le...