How can I politely ask someone not to smoke around me?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work

Say simply, "Smoking is really bad for me, so do you mind smoking where I won’t be affected by your smoke? Thank you so much for understanding". Most people will positively respond to such a request. If that doesn't work then if you are in an area where they should not smoke make that a point. And really it may just be easier for you to move if they have a legal right to smoke in that area.

Most people are understanding and will either put out a cigarette or move somewhere else. If they refuse, it is best for you to move somewhere else if this is possible. If you are in an area where smoking is prohibited, you should point this out to them and if they ignore it, find someone in charge to ask them to leave. You are really doing them a favor to make it difficult for them to smoke.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Hawaii Health Alert: Is Vaping Really Better Than Smoking?
Millions of Americans use e-cigarettes regularly, and the number of vapers in the United States is on the rise, particularly among young people. Vapin...
Do insurance companies cover nicotine gum for smoking cessation?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Many do but you need to check with your insurance company on that. If they do, they will not usually...
How to Quit Smoking Once and for All
How to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for All
Say farewell to your cigarettes by sticking to this step-by-step plan.
Watch Your Weight When You Quit Smoking
Watch Your Weight When You Quit Smoking