I miss the feeling of a cigarette in my mouth; what can I do?

It is common for people who have smoked to be in the habit of having something in their mouth. Good alternatives if you are trying to quit include: sunflower seeds, gum, mints, toothpicks, fake cigarettes, sweets, and lozenges.
Lots of ex-smokers talk about how they miss holding a cigarette in their hands, bringing it to their lips and inhaling. As a smoker, it's part of the ritual imprinted in your brain. We tell people who get a lot of oral gratification from cigarettes to stock up on some supplies before they quit. This stockpile should include items that can take the place of cigarettes. Plastic cigarettes may be too suggestive, but straws, plastic stirrers, cinnamon sticks, chew sticks or flavored toothpicks can keep both the mouth and the hands busy.
If you miss the feeling of a cigarette in your mouth, you can use non-nicotine alternatives to replace that feeling. Smoking is a habit or ritual and when you quit, you may miss the feeling of holding a cigarette in your hand and mouth. Replace the cigarette with flavored toothpicks, cinnamon sticks, or sugarless gum or candy. Even straws, chew sticks, and pretzel rods can help combat the psychological cravings of having a cigarette in your mouth.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Walking Helped Me Quit Smoking and Lose Weight
I started walking . . . simply to take my mind off of smoking and distract myself from the cravings. I weighed 200 pounds and was also worried that qu...
Why are cigarettes harmful?
Frank T. Leone, MDFrank T. Leone, MD
There are over 4,000 chemicals in just one cigarette:400 are known to be toxic40 are known to cause ...
How to Quit Smoking Once and for All
How to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for AllHow to Quit Smoking Once and for All
Say farewell to your cigarettes by sticking to this step-by-step plan.
Does Smoking Cause Erectile Dysfunction?