What should I do to cool down after performing squats?

Start by performing a light aerobic activity, such as walking on a treadmill for five minutes, to allow your heart rate to slow down and prevent blood from pooling in your lower extremities. Next, foam roll your calves, outer thighs, inner thighs, and mid-back. When foam rolling a particular muscle, make sure to find the most tender area of the muscle and hold on that spot for approximately 30 seconds. This will give the tissue an adequate amount of time to relax, reducing unwanted tension and knots within the muscle. After foam rolling, statically stretch your calves, inner thighs, hips, and latissimus dorsi. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds. This will give your muscles enough time to elongate and return to their proper resting lengths. This comprehensive approach should help your muscles and joints stay healthy, strong, and pliable.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What is the difference between directed stretching and general stretching?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Directed stretching is specifically designed to isolate and loosen the offending muscle spasms a...
What are the benefits of flexibility training?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Flexibility training is phenomenal to complete and should be completed daily. Every individual shoul...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?