What should I do to cool down after performing squats?

Start by performing a light aerobic activity, such as walking on a treadmill for five minutes, to allow your heart rate to slow down and prevent blood from pooling in your lower extremities. Next, foam roll your calves, outer thighs, inner thighs, and mid-back. When foam rolling a particular muscle, make sure to find the most tender area of the muscle and hold on that spot for approximately 30 seconds. This will give the tissue an adequate amount of time to relax, reducing unwanted tension and knots within the muscle. After foam rolling, statically stretch your calves, inner thighs, hips, and latissimus dorsi. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds. This will give your muscles enough time to elongate and return to their proper resting lengths. This comprehensive approach should help your muscles and joints stay healthy, strong, and pliable.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What are ways to relieve morning back pain?
Brian YeeBrian Yee
Pelvic tilts: Laying on your back with knees bent - rock your pelvis back - flattening your back aga...
How can I improve my flexibility so I can touch my toes?
Being able to touch your toes requires low back, hamstring, and calf flexibility. By statically stre...
What is flexibility training?
Flexibility training involves low-intensity exercises that increase the total range of motion of a j...
What muscles should I stretch before and after a basketball game?
Basketball players are prone to tight calves, hips, and lats (latissimus dorsi).  Start your flexi...