Are blood vessels in my eye encroaching on my iris a serious problem?

Yes, these blood vessels could be a potential problem to your eyes. Many contact lenses will cause this condition to a mild degree, but significant peripheral vascularization suggest that your corneas are starved for oxygen or other nutrients. Consider a second opinion with an eye doctor (ophthalmologist) to confirm or deny that these blood vessels represent a problem for your eyes. 

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Vision Loss and Depression: What's the Connection?
Vision loss can make it harder—even impossible—to do certain activities you enjoy or to perform routine tasks, such as driving. Fears of falling or ha...
Can 3D Printers Generate Eyes That Function Properly?
How Have Advances in Molecular Biology Helped Eye Disease Treatments?
What Is the Mission of the American Academy of Ophthalmology?