How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?

If a foreign body is embedded in a wound, it's important to seek immediate medical attention. Learn more from Brian Evans, MD, from West Hills Hospital & Medical Center in this video.
  • If an object, such as a knife or a piece of glass or metal, is embedded in a wound, do not remove it.
  • Place several dressings around it to keep it from moving.
  • Bandage the dressings in place around the object.
  • If it is only a splinter in the surface of the skin, it can be removed with tweezers.
    • After removing the splinter from the skin, wash the area with soap and water, rinsing the area with tap water for about five minutes.
    • After drying the area, apply an antibiotic ointment to the area if the person has no known allergies or sensitivities to the medication and then cover it to keep it clean.
    • If the splinter is in the eye, do not attempt to remove it. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
Read More
What should I use to clean a wound?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Soap and water are recommended wound care for all lacerations. Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide are not...
More Answers
Do I need to go to the emergency room (ER) for stitches?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
You don't necessarily need to go to an emergency room (ER) for stitches. You can always call your ow...
More Answers
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.