How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?

• If an object, such as a knife or a piece of glass or metal, is embedded in a wound, do not remove it.
  • Place several dressings around it to keep it from moving.
  • Bandage the dressings in place around the object.

• If it is only a splinter in the surface of the skin, it can be removed with tweezers.
    • After removing the splinter from the skin, wash the area with soap and water, rinsing the area with tap water for about five minutes.
    • After drying the area, apply an antibiotic ointment to the area if the person has no known allergies or sensitivities to the medication and then cover it to keep it clean.
    • If the splinter is in the eye, do not attempt to remove it. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

How important is movement when caring for a wound?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a wound falls on a joint, doctors will often immobilize the area; movement can cause tearing. Lea...
What over-the-counter products can I use for wound care?
There are many different over-the-counter products that can be used for wound care. These produc...
How should I apply a roller bandage to a wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Secure the end of the bandage in place with a turn of the bandage. Wrap the bandage around the bo...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?