How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?

If a foreign body is embedded in a wound, it's important to seek immediate medical attention. Learn more from Brian Evans, MD, from West Hills Hospital & Medical Center in this video.
  • If an object, such as a knife or a piece of glass or metal, is embedded in a wound, do not remove it.
  • Place several dressings around it to keep it from moving.
  • Bandage the dressings in place around the object.

• If it is only a splinter in the surface of the skin, it can be removed with tweezers.
    • After removing the splinter from the skin, wash the area with soap and water, rinsing the area with tap water for about five minutes.
    • After drying the area, apply an antibiotic ointment to the area if the person has no known allergies or sensitivities to the medication and then cover it to keep it clean.
    • If the splinter is in the eye, do not attempt to remove it. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What should I use to clean a wound?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Soap and water are recommended wound care for all lacerations. Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide are not...
How should I care for a minor open wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for a minor open wound, follow these general guidelines: Use a barrier between your hand a...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?