How should I care for a major open wound?

A major open wound has serious tissue damage and severe bleeding. To care for a major open wound, you must act at once. Follow these steps:

• Put on disposable gloves. If you suspect that blood might splatter, you may need to wear eye and face protection.
  • Control bleeding by:
    • Covering the wound with a dressing and firmly pressing against the wound with a gloved hand until the bleeding stops.
    • Applying a pressure bandage over the dressing to maintain pressure on the wound and to hold the dressing in place.
    • If blood soaks through the bandage, do not remove the blood-soaked bandages. Instead, add more dressings and bandages, and apply additional direct pressure.
  • Continue to monitor the person’s condition. Observe the person closely for signs that may indicate that the person’s condition is worsening, such as faster or slower breathing, changes in skin color, and restlessness.
  • Care for shock. Keep the person from getting chilled or overheated.
  • Have the person rest comfortably and provide reassurance.
  • Wash your hands immediately after giving care, even if you wore gloves.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
    Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
    Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
    How can I help someone care for their wound?
    You can help by keeping their wound clean and bandaged. Encourage them to avoid scratching the w...
    How do I care for my cut?
    A cut is a wound that usually results from something sharp, like a knife or broken glass. You ca...
    What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?