question

Can rheumatoid arthritis be mistaken for osteoarthritis?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Donna Hill Howes, RN
answer
Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis can be mistaken for each other because both are characterized by swelling and inflammation. However, rheumatoid arthritis is different because in this condition, the body's immune system attacks the joints. This can happen suddenly and cause severe inflammation. On the other hand, osteoarthritis is caused by a breakdown of joint cartilage and tends to develop over time.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Exercise, Not Rest, Is Best for Beating RA Fatigue
When you’re suffering from exhaustion caused by rheumatoid arthritis (RA), the last thing you want to do is head to the gym. However, exercise may be ...
Start Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment ASAP—For Your Heart
You’ve just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Starting your treatment as soon as possible can protect your joints—and your heart. That’s ...
Overcoming Rheumatoid Arthritis Burnout
Overcoming Rheumatoid Arthritis Burnout
One of the most difficult things about managing rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is the fact that it is a chronic condition. In medical terms, chronic means...
My Story: Living My Best Life as a Woman of Color with Rheumatoid Arthritis
Afshin, a rheumatoid arthritis patient, is living her best life despite the complications of her health management.