How should I care for a sucking chest wound?

Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Emergency Room Nursing
In addition to the information provided above, you should call 911 to transport the person emergently to the appropriate health care facility. This is a medical emergency. 
  • To care for a sucking chest wound, cover the wound with a large occlusive dressing. A piece of plastic wrap, or a plastic bag folded several times and placed over the wound, makes an effective occlusive dressing.

• Tape the dressing in place except for one side or corner, which should remain loose.
  • A taped-down dressing keeps air from entering the wound when the person inhales, and having an open corner allows air to escape when the person exhales.
  • If these materials are not available to use as dressings, use a folded cloth.
  • Take steps to minimize shock. Monitor the person’s breathing.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

How Do Maggots Help Heal Wounds?
How Do Maggots Help Heal Wounds?
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?