How should I care for a sucking chest wound?

• To care for a sucking chest wound, cover the wound with a large occlusive dressing. A piece of plastic wrap, or a plastic bag folded several times and placed over the wound, makes an effective occlusive dressing.

• Tape the dressing in place except for one side or corner, which should remain loose.
  • A taped-down dressing keeps air from entering the wound when the person inhales, and having an open corner allows air to escape when the person exhales.
  • If these materials are not available to use as dressings, use a folded cloth.
  • Take steps to minimize shock. Monitor the person’s breathing.
In addition to the information provided above, you should call 911 to transport the person emergently to the appropriate health care facility. This is a medical emergency. 

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How do I care for my cut?
A cut is a wound that usually results from something sharp, like a knife or broken glass. You ca...
How are open wounds treated?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
General care for open wounds includes controlling bleeding, preventing infection, and using dressing...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?