How should I care for a sucking chest wound?

In addition to the information provided above, you should call 911 to transport the person emergently to the appropriate health care facility. This is a medical emergency. 
  • To care for a sucking chest wound, cover the wound with a large occlusive dressing. A piece of plastic wrap, or a plastic bag folded several times and placed over the wound, makes an effective occlusive dressing.

• Tape the dressing in place except for one side or corner, which should remain loose.
  • A taped-down dressing keeps air from entering the wound when the person inhales, and having an open corner allows air to escape when the person exhales.
  • If these materials are not available to use as dressings, use a folded cloth.
  • Take steps to minimize shock. Monitor the person’s breathing.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How should I care for someone with a closed wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Many closed wounds, like bruises, do not require special medical care.To care for a closed wound, yo...
How can I care for my stitches?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
The best way to care for stitches is to follow your doctor's advice and keep the stitches clean. Lea...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?