How should I apply a roller bandage to a wound?

• Secure the end of the bandage in place with a turn of the bandage. Wrap the bandage around the body part until the dressing is completely covered and the bandage extends several inches beyond the dressing. Tie or tape the bandage in place.

[media id="4e80b93a464318_30646810" title="Arc Figure 7_15A"]

[media id="4e80b974c3e9c4_49737351" title="Arc Figure 7_15B"]

[media id="4e80b993180675_48011589" title="Arc Figure 7_15C"]
  • Do not cover fingers or toes. By keeping these parts uncovered, you will be able to see if the bandage is too tight. If fingers or toes become cold or begin to turn pale, blue, or ashen, the bandage is too tight and should be loosened slightly.

• Apply additional dressings and another bandage if blood soaks through the first  bandage. Do not remove the blood-soaked bandages and dressings. Disturbing them may disrupt the formation of a clot and restart the bleeding.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How should I care for a major open wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A major open wound has serious tissue damage and severe bleeding. To care for a major open wound, yo...
How do I stop my wound from bleeding?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
One saying in surgery is that "all bleeding eventually stops." It is very important to apply constan...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?