How should I apply a roller bandage to a wound?

• Secure the end of the bandage in place with a turn of the bandage. Wrap the bandage around the body part until the dressing is completely covered and the bandage extends several inches beyond the dressing. Tie or tape the bandage in place.

[media id="4e80b93a464318_30646810" title="Arc Figure 7_15A"]

[media id="4e80b974c3e9c4_49737351" title="Arc Figure 7_15B"]

[media id="4e80b993180675_48011589" title="Arc Figure 7_15C"]
  • Do not cover fingers or toes. By keeping these parts uncovered, you will be able to see if the bandage is too tight. If fingers or toes become cold or begin to turn pale, blue, or ashen, the bandage is too tight and should be loosened slightly.

• Apply additional dressings and another bandage if blood soaks through the first  bandage. Do not remove the blood-soaked bandages and dressings. Disturbing them may disrupt the formation of a clot and restart the bleeding.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

How should I care for someone with a closed wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Many closed wounds, like bruises, do not require special medical care.To care for a closed wound, yo...
How are open wounds treated?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
General care for open wounds includes controlling bleeding, preventing infection, and using dressing...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone with a closed wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if: A person complains of severe pain or cannot move a ...
How do I care for my cut?
A cut is a wound that usually results from something sharp, like a knife or broken glass. You ca...