How should I care for an open abdominal injury?

The first step in caring for an open wound is cleansing the wound and seeking medical attention if it's more severe. Learn more from Brian Evans, MD, from West Hills Hospital & Medical Center in this video. 
With a severe open injury, abdominal organs sometimes protrude through the wound.

[media id="4e80bb433236b4_36539024" title="Arc Figure 7_30A"]

To care for an open wound to the abdomen, follow these steps:
  • Put on disposable gloves or use another barrier.
  • Carefully position the person on his or her back with the knees bent, if that position does not cause pain.
  • Do not apply direct pressure.
  • Do not push any protruding organs back into the open wound.
  • Remove clothing from around the wound.
[media id="4e80bb6fa16d33_65652544" title="Arc Figure 7_30B"]
  • Apply moist, sterile dressings loosely over the wound (clean, warm tap water can be used).
[media id="4e80bb96956050_46144461" title="Arc Figure 7_30C"]
  • Cover dressings loosely with plastic wrap, if available.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What is a skin adhesive?
Skin adhesive is an alternative way that doctors bind wounds in order to avoid stitches. It is u...
How should I care for a closed abdominal injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for a closed wound to the abdomen: While keeping the injured area still, apply cold to the...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?