When should I use a tourniquet to treat a wound?

Because of the potential for adverse effects, a tourniquet should be used only as a last resort in cases of delayed care or situations where response from emergency medical services (EMS) is delayed, when direct pressure does not stop the bleeding, or you are not able to apply direct pressure.

A tourniquet may be appropriate if you cannot reach the wound because of entrapment, there are multiple injuries, or the size of the wound prohibits application of direct pressure.

In most areas, application of a tourniquet is considered to be a skill at the emergency medical technician (EMT) level or higher and requires proper training. There are several types of manufactured tourniquets available and are preferred over makeshift (improvised) devices.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

How should I care for a minor open wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for a minor open wound, follow these general guidelines: Use a barrier between your hand a...
How can I help my loved one care for their wound?
You can help your loved one to care for their wound by keeping their wound clean and bandaged. Encou...
How should I care for my wound after surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are tips on how you can care for your wound after surgery:If your wound is closed with staples:...
How can I care for my stitches?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
The best way to care for stitches is to follow your doctor's advice and keep the stitches clean. Lea...