When should I use a tourniquet to treat a wound?

Because of the potential for adverse effects, a tourniquet should be used only as a last resort in cases of delayed care or situations where response from emergency medical services (EMS) is delayed, when direct pressure does not stop the bleeding, or you are not able to apply direct pressure.

A tourniquet may be appropriate if you cannot reach the wound because of entrapment, there are multiple injuries, or the size of the wound prohibits application of direct pressure.

In most areas, application of a tourniquet is considered to be a skill at the emergency medical technician (EMT) level or higher and requires proper training. There are several types of manufactured tourniquets available and are preferred over makeshift (improvised) devices.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?
If an object, such as a knife or a piece of glass or metal, is embedded in a wound, do not remove it...
How should I care for a sucking chest wound?
How should I care for a sucking chest wound? To care for a sucking chest wound, cover the wound with...
How should I care for a major open wound?
How should I care for a major open wound? To care for a major open wound, you must act at once. Lear...
How should I care for an open abdominal injury?
With a severe open injury, abdominal organs sometimes protrude through the wound. Learn more from ou...