What is the difference between sleepiness and fatigue?

Sleepiness and fatigue are two distinct conditions. Sleepiness refers to the inability to stay awake even in situations in which wakefulness is required, such as at work or behind the wheel of a car. Fatigue is a state of overwhelming sustained exhaustion and decreased capacity for physical and mental work that is not relieved by rest. Both conditions can greatly affect your quality of life, productivity, performance and safety, and should be evaluated for underlying causes so that appropriate treatment may be prescribed.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Feeling Tired? Try This
Feeling Tired? Try This
Hang onto your coffee mugs, North Americans. You lose 191 million hours of sleep on the first workday of Daylight Savings Time. Every year when clocks...
What are common sleep disorders with ADHD?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Two common sleep disorders among people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are...
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
Grab some fuzzy socks and adjust the thermostat—things are about to get pretty cozy.
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?