How can I avoid disease transmission when caring for open wounds?

You can reduce the risk of disease transmission by washing your hands immediately after giving first aid, avoiding direct contact with blood, and using appropriate protective barriers. All of these are universal precautions. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern Kentucky University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone with a closed wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if: A person complains of severe pain or cannot move a ...
How do I care for my cut?
A cut is a wound that usually results from something sharp, like a knife or broken glass. You ca...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?