How can I avoid disease transmission when caring for open wounds?

You can reduce the risk of disease transmission by washing your hands immediately after giving first aid, avoiding direct contact with blood, and using appropriate protective barriers. All of these are universal precautions. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern Kentucky University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

How should I apply a roller bandage to a wound?
How should I apply a roller bandage to a wound? Secure the end of the bandage in place with a turn o...
When should I use a tourniquet to treat a wound?
When should I use a tourniquet to treat a wound? Because of the potential for adverse effects, a tou...
What types of wounds require stitches?
What types of wounds require stitches? Wounds that show muscle or bone, involve joints, gape widely,...
How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?
If an object, such as a knife or a piece of glass or metal, is embedded in a wound, do not remove it...