If my pregnancy bump is wide, am I having a girl?

This pregnancy myth is about as accurate as those that try to predict a baby's gender based on what foods mom craves. The bump is the most protruding part of a pregnant woman's belly, but its position (high vs. low) and its width do not indicate the child's sex. If a woman has a short torso, there simply is less room for the uterus to stretch upward as the baby grows, so the baby sprawls, making the bump "wide" and out to the sides. A woman with a longer torso has more room for the baby to grow between the rib cage and the pelvis, so the uterus stays narrow. The only true way to know the baby's gender is through an ultrasound or amniocentesis.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What should I avoid while using pregnancy testing kits?
A home-use pregnancy testing kit involves the collection of a urine sample to detect the presenc...
Will chemotherapy prevent me from getting pregnant?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
You cannot depend on chemotherapy to prevent pregnancy, and getting pregnant while receiving chemoth...
How can pregnancy transform my identity?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Whether you are single or in a committed partnership, over forty or in your teens, rich or poor or m...
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?