If my pregnancy bump is wide, am I having a girl?

This pregnancy myth is about as accurate as those that try to predict a baby's gender based on what foods mom craves. The bump is the most protruding part of a pregnant woman's belly, but its position (high vs. low) and its width do not indicate the child's sex. If a woman has a short torso, there simply is less room for the uterus to stretch upward as the baby grows, so the baby sprawls, making the bump "wide" and out to the sides. A woman with a longer torso has more room for the baby to grow between the rib cage and the pelvis, so the uterus stays narrow. The only true way to know the baby's gender is through an ultrasound or amniocentesis.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Pregnant? Why You Should Avoid Phthalates
If you’re pregnant or thinking about being pregnant staying away from phthalates (used to make plastics pliable) may be best ...
How do I choose the right OBGYN?
Tessie M. Larrieu, MDTessie M. Larrieu, MD
In this video, Tessie Larrieu, MD, in obstetrics & gynecology at Mercy Hospital explains how women s...
Will chemotherapy prevent me from getting pregnant?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
You cannot depend on chemotherapy to prevent pregnancy, and getting pregnant while receiving chemoth...
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?