What does the term "hard prostate" mean?

On digital rectal examination (DRE), the normal prostate feels firm (similar to the tip of the nose).  A “hard prostate” (like a rock), may indicate the presence of cancer.  In addition to the DRE, a blood test called PSA (prostate-specific antigen) can help diagnose prostate cancer at an earlier stage.  If the DRE or PSA test is suspicious, a prostate biopsy is usually recommended. 

A normal prostate has a smooth, soft texture. Cancers in the prostate will make nodules, or “hard” areas, on the prostate’s surface. Your doctor may feel them during a rectal exam.

The term "hard prostate" indicates a firmness of the prostate, which may indicate prostate cancer.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer

Got Prostate Cancer? Don't Skip Your Regular Checkups
Sometimes, prostate cancer doesn’t need any treatment—at least not right away. Because the tumor grows so slowly, doctors often choose to keep tabs on...
How does my race affect my risk for prostate cancer?
American Indians, Asians and Pacific Islanders have the lowest incidences of prostate cancer. Black ...
What are the risks of a prostate biopsy for prostate cancer?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Risks of a prostate biopsy for prostate cancer include: bleeding at the biopsy site rectal bleed...
Are You a Candidate for Daily Low-Dose Baby Aspirin?