Prostate Cancer

What does the term "hard prostate" mean?

• A normal prostate has a smooth, soft texture. Cancers in the prostate will make nodules, or “hard” areas, on the prostate’s surface. Your doctor may feel them during a rectal exam.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • The term "hard prostate" indicates a firmness of the prostate, which may indicate prostate cancer.
  • A , Urology, answered
    On digital rectal examination (DRE), the normal prostate feels firm (similar to the tip of the nose).  A “hard prostate” (like a rock), may indicate the presence of cancer.  In addition to the DRE, a blood test called PSA (prostate-specific antigen) can help diagnose prostate cancer at an earlier stage.  If the DRE or PSA test is suspicious, a prostate biopsy is usually recommended. 
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Should I get a prostate cancer screening if I have no family history of it?