Should I be worried if my infant's skin looks pale or jaundiced?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Pale or yellow skin could be a problem sign. Jaundice in newborns is often caused by hyperbilirubinemia, which is not usually serious but should be cause for a medical examination. Jaundice may also be caused by congenital hypothyroidism, which must be treated promptly to prevent serious complications, such as brain damage, developmental delays, or stunted growth. Paleness may be caused by iron deficiency, apnea of prematurity, croup, or other conditions. If you are concerned, or notice other troubling symptoms, do not hesitate to call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Use these tips to avoid spooky holiday hazards on the trick-or-treat trail. Halloween is a magical day for many children and a few precautions will he...
Healthy School Lunches Help Prevent Childhood Obesity
How Do I Recognize a Thyroid Disease in My Child or Adolescent?
What Is a Good Way to Approach the Issue of Weight with my Children?