Is shoveling snow a good way to get exercise during the winter?

Shoveling snow can be a very intense activity potentially improving your aerobic fitness, muscular endurance, and aid in weight loss. Make sure to wear appropriate clothing, including a hat and gloves. It is equally important to stay dry and wear proper footwear that repels moisture. 

When shoveling snow use your legs to help lift the snow and concentrate on keeping your abdominals tight helping protect your low-back.

Yes! First, I would suggest to warm-up as one of my colleagues mentioned. Second, make sure to not do too much at one time (15-20 minutes or so) and use your legs to lift to protect your low back. Third, try one of the new ergonomic shovels with the curved handle which is good for pushing snow as well. I hope this helps and have fun!
Beth Oliver
Fitness

It’s great! Warm up your trunk muscles a bit before you start with some easy twisting movements and stretch your lower back while you are standing, by hugging your knees into your chest, one at a time.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Little Ways to Get Fit
Little Ways to Get Fit
You don't have to be a gym rat to get fit. Sometimes, all you have to do is mess around in the garden. Or putz around the yard. Or simply walk to the ...
What is an easy exercise I can do at my desk to improve my mood?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Sitting at a desk all day and staring into the screen can zap you of your energy and drain your ...
How can I increase the amount of exercise I do?
Continuing the same old monotonous exercise program will become boring and overtime, the physiologic...
How Fequently Should I Stretch My Calves?