Is shoveling snow a good way to get exercise during the winter?

Shoveling snow can be a very intense activity potentially improving your aerobic fitness, muscular endurance, and aid in weight loss. Make sure to wear appropriate clothing, including a hat and gloves. It is equally important to stay dry and wear proper footwear that repels moisture. 

When shoveling snow use your legs to help lift the snow and concentrate on keeping your abdominals tight helping protect your low-back.

Yes! First, I would suggest to warm-up as one of my colleagues mentioned. Second, make sure to not do too much at one time (15-20 minutes or so) and use your legs to lift to protect your low back. Third, try one of the new ergonomic shovels with the curved handle which is good for pushing snow as well. I hope this helps and have fun!
Beth Oliver
Fitness

It’s great! Warm up your trunk muscles a bit before you start with some easy twisting movements and stretch your lower back while you are standing, by hugging your knees into your chest, one at a time.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Easy Home Workouts
Easy Home Workouts
Want to exercise to manage your cholesterol, but can't seem to fit it into your day? Here's good news: You don't have to follow a structured workout p...
What are some easy ways to stay fit?
Terrance Evans , MMA Conditioning Specialist, NASM Elite TrainerTerrance Evans , MMA Conditioning Specialist, NASM Elite Trainer
Keep Moving, Don't sit down (if you go home, you'll find an excuse not to leave), find any activity ...
How can I burn calories through daily activities?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Burning off additional calories through activity is essential for most people who are trying to lose...
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat