Is shoveling snow a good way to get exercise during the winter?

Beth Oliver
Fitness

It’s great! Warm up your trunk muscles a bit before you start with some easy twisting movements and stretch your lower back while you are standing, by hugging your knees into your chest, one at a time.

Yes! First, I would suggest to warm-up as one of my colleagues mentioned. Second, make sure to not do too much at one time (15-20 minutes or so) and use your legs to lift to protect your low back. Third, try one of the new ergonomic shovels with the curved handle which is good for pushing snow as well. I hope this helps and have fun!

Shoveling snow can be a very intense activity potentially improving your aerobic fitness, muscular endurance, and aid in weight loss. Make sure to wear appropriate clothing, including a hat and gloves. It is equally important to stay dry and wear proper footwear that repels moisture. 

When shoveling snow use your legs to help lift the snow and concentrate on keeping your abdominals tight helping protect your low-back.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

The Exercise Plan to Extend Your Life
The Exercise Plan to Extend Your Life
Newton’s first law of motion is also sometimes called the law of inertia. Briefly, an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in mo...
What is a basic, easy-to-use weekly workout schedule?
Probably, the simplest and a commonly used workout schedule is to divide the body into upper body an...
How can I exercise if I can't afford fitness equipment?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If you want to exercise but can't afford fitness equipment, do something that doesn't require fa...
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Ride the Bus to Get Fit