question

What questions might I ask my doctor if I have had a stroke?

SecondsCount.org
SecondsCount.org
answer

If you have had a stroke or mini stroke, it is not unusual to feel concerned and want as much information as possible to speed your recovery and reduce your risk for having another stroke in the future. The following questions can lay the groundwork for a discussion between you and your physician.

• I have been depressed since I had a stroke. Is that normal?
  • How soon will I recover from complications, such as problems walking and talking?
  • What additional tests may I need?
  • What are my treatment options? What combination of lifestyle, medication, and in-hospital treatments/surgery/rehabilitation may be necessary to combat the disease?
  • What is my prognosis? What are the likely outcomes?
  • What are the odds that I will have another stroke?
  • Can I, or will I again, be able to enjoy the quality of life I had before the stroke? What can I do to improve the odds of this?
  • What happens after treatment? If treatment involves recovery, how long will that take? 
  • What follow-up will be necessary?
  • How long is a particular treatment likely to be effective?
  • Who can I turn to for support (hospital staff, support groups, etc.)?

Continue Learning about Stroke

The Science Behind Broken Heart Syndrome
When 62-year-old Joanie Simpson woke up with a serious backache and chest pain following the death of her beloved Yorkshire terrier, she assumed she w...
Stroke: Why Time Lost Is Brain Lost
Stroke: Why Time Lost Is Brain Lost
Every 40 seconds, someone in the United States has a stroke. Like heart attacks, strokes happen suddenly and can affect anyone. These so-called “brain...
How to Respond to Signs of a Stroke
How to Respond to Signs of a Stroke
Stroke is the fifth leading cause of death and a major cause of disability in adults in the United States. Stroke takes the lives of over 150,000 Amer...
5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now
5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now5 Ways to Lower Your Stroke Risk Now
About 80 percent of strokes are preventable—if you make little changes to your day. Learn about these five easy ways to reduce stroke risk and get hea...