What questions might I ask my doctor if I have had a stroke?

If you have had a stroke or mini stroke, it is not unusual to feel concerned and want as much information as possible to speed your recovery and reduce your risk for having another stroke in the future. The following questions can lay the groundwork for a discussion between you and your physician.

• I have been depressed since I had a stroke. Is that normal?
  • How soon will I recover from complications, such as problems walking and talking?
  • What additional tests may I need?
  • What are my treatment options? What combination of lifestyle, medication, and in-hospital treatments/surgery/rehabilitation may be necessary to combat the disease?
  • What is my prognosis? What are the likely outcomes?
  • What are the odds that I will have another stroke?
  • Can I, or will I again, be able to enjoy the quality of life I had before the stroke? What can I do to improve the odds of this?
  • What happens after treatment? If treatment involves recovery, how long will that take? 
  • What follow-up will be necessary?
  • How long is a particular treatment likely to be effective?
  • Who can I turn to for support (hospital staff, support groups, etc.)?

Continue Learning about Stroke

How Women Can Help Prevent Stroke
How Women Can Help Prevent Stroke
You all know the phrase “different strokes for different folks”. But it’s taken the medical community until now to figure out women have different ris...
What does time is brain mean?
"Time is brain" is a saying used to emphasize that the longer you wait to treat a stroke the more da...
7 Stroke Risk Factors Women Should Know
7 Stroke Risk Factors Women Should Know7 Stroke Risk Factors Women Should Know7 Stroke Risk Factors Women Should Know7 Stroke Risk Factors Women Should Know
Each year, 55,000 more women will have a stroke than men. Learn about the unique risk factors for women and how to prevent them.
Do the Benefits of Weight-Loss Surgery Outweigh the Risks?