What is the difference between daily activities and structured exercise?

Daily activities are the activities you perform on a daily basis; like, walking the dog, climbing the staircase at home, walking from building to building during work, etc. Structured exercise is exercise that is performed with an underlying purpose and goal. Typically, time is set aside to perform structured exercise, and the routine is documented somewhere to keep track of progress.

The difference between daily activities and structured exercise is the fact that a specific plan is put into place when a fitness program is structured. One of the best examples is the fact when I as a fitness professional put together a fitness program for a client each and every week I monitor and record what levels on intensity one is at in cardio training, and resistance training etc, and based on the body’s specific response to each adjustment I make is recorded and this tells me if the body is getting stronger through the cardio system and if the overall strength of and individual is increasing. In a structured program adjustments are constantly being made to challenge the body to new levels. Daily activities are wonderful in the fact that they help burn calories but most are not intense enough to challenge the body to be the best method when overcoming, and achieving fitness goals.    

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Double-Duty Exercise Opportunities
Double-Duty Exercise Opportunities
You know how tough it can be to find time to work out. Jam-packed schedules and never-ending chores don't seem to leave much time for taking care of y...
What is an easy exercise I can do at my desk to improve my mood?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Sitting at a desk all day and staring into the screen can zap you of your energy and drain your ...
How can I keep myself physically active despite a busy schedule?
Even with a busy schedule you can still keep physically active by finding ways to add physical activ...
Why College Students Should Hang Up Their Cell Phones