How reliable is skin fold analysis?

Calculations have been created to estimate body fat percentage based on skin fold measurements to the same accuracy as hydrostatic weighing.  The calculations and calipers themselves are very accurate.  While there is large room for user error in skin fold measurements, skilled trainers who practice often can obtain up to 98% accuracy.  However, it has been found that skin fold measurements may be less accurate for larger individuals, where it is more difficult to separate muscle and fat by a simple pinch.

If done by a skilled practitioner they can be very accurate, comparable to underwater weighing.  For the best results each site used should be marked and three measurements per site performed.  It would be ideal to use more sites vs. less and have the same person do the test each time. 

In a gym setting three to four sites are common and usually only one measurement per site is performed.  As long as the same person is doing the test each time and they are experienced with using the calipers, than this should provide an accurate measurement of body fat percentage.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

Should I jump into local races even if I am not in race shape yet?
Absolutely! Since there’s so much more to being a successful cyclist than merely having great fi...
How do I self monitor my exercise?
Self monitoring exercise is being aware of all the impacts of exercise physically and psychologi...
How do medications affect my health/fitness assessment?
Certain medications may alter your blood pressure and/or heart rate.  It is important for your hea...
How can I track my progress with my exercise program?
These days, there are numerous ways to count steps (or mileage or calories), and that’s through high...