What types of anger can occur with erectile dysfunction (ED)?

Upfront anger is expressed directly toward the person or situation at which you are angry. This type of anger, if not overemphasized, is most acceptable as you express feelings to the one involved, usually your spouse or doctor. Statements such as "Yes, I hate it that I’m impotent,” or "I feel so frustrated and angry when I want to express myself sexually yet am unable to” are acceptable if you do not follow through with violent outbursts.

Displaced anger originates from strong feelings toward the problem (in this case, impotence), but is directed toward a different person or event. For example, you may fuss at your wife one day and suggest that "maybe if she would take care of herself, you would no longer be impotent." Instead of expressing anger toward the initial problem, you yell at your wife, expressing displaced anger. This is most painful anger as you lose control and let the steam blow by spewing harsh words on innocent victims. 

Inward anger is unexpressed, either verbally or nonverbally. Instead of speaking openly about your angry thoughts, you may let it boil up inside and eat away at your entire being, resulting in physical ailments such as nausea, tension headaches, muscle aches or even depression.

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

The Unofficial Guide to Conquering Impotence delivers the inside scoop on impotence: the truth about Viagra, what treatments really work, and how lifestyle changes can aid in conquering...

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Erectile Dysfunction May Predict Heart Problems
Erectile dysfunction not only causes problems in the bedroom -- it can also signal much larger health issues. A study from Johns Hopkins’ Ciccarone Ce...
What percent of the male population has a moderate to severe form of ED?
Have you turned on a TV lately? With all the ads for drugs to treat erectile dysfunction (ED), y...
What are some pros and cons of penile implants?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Penile implant surgery is a long-lasting treatment for erection dysfunction (ED) in that it allows a...
Lose Belly Fat, Improve Your Sex Life
Lose Belly Fat, Improve Your Sex Life