Is erectile dysfunction a sign of heart disease?

Erectile dysfunction (ED) is often an early warning sign of heart disease. Heed it! Heart disease is the number one killer in the U.S. If you suspect you have it, talk to your doctor, immediately.

Here's why your ED may be related to heart disease. To have and keep an erection, the tiny blood vessels in your penis need to fill with blood. The same cardiovascular problems that can cause ED may also affect blood flow through your veins, your arteries, and your heart. If you have ED, see your doctor for a checkup. He can determine if you have, or are at high risk for developing heart disease.
Erectile dysfunction (ED) may be caused by another condition or may be a sign of one. For instance, cardiovascular (heart and vessel) disease is one of the most common risk factors for developing ED. Over time, heart disease can damage blood vessels that direct blood flow to the penis during arousal, causing problems getting or maintaining an erection. Your doctor can recommend tests to find out whether ED is related to another health issue. 

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Statins May Help Men with ED
Statins May Help Men with ED
Everything that goes up must come down—or so the saying goes. That’s certainly true of the stock market, Arnold Schwarzenegger’s popularity, and the w...
Could my erectile dysfunction go away on its own?
Sometimes erectile dysfunction resolves on its own. Maybe you cut back on drinking, resolved the...
If I have ED more than half the time, should I speak to my doctor?
You should certainly see your doctor if you experience erectile dysfunction (ED) more than half ...
How Can I Prevent Erectile Dysfunction?
How Can I Prevent Erectile Dysfunction?