How could my partner's erectile dysfunction (ED) affect our relationship?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Problems achieving or maintaining an erection during sex aren't just a guy's issue -- they're a relationship issue. Erectile dysfunction (ED) can damage a man's self-esteem, your self-esteem, and your relationship -- particularly if you don't talk about the issue together, leaving each of you alone to wonder what you might be doing wrong.

You might worry that your partner's erectile problems are a sign of inadequacy on your part. You may worry that the sex isn't good enough, you're not attractive enough, that your partner has lost interest in you or is cheating on you. Not surprisingly, ED can send your libido south, too: In a study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, 23 percent of men with ED reported a decrease in their female partners' sex drive; 5 percent reported a complete lack of sexual interest from their partners.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

How Caffeine Affects ED
How Caffeine Affects ED
There’s been a lot of buzz about how coffee can perk up your sex life. Well, as Maxwell Smart (D...
What is the rate of incidence of erectile dysfunction?
The overall rate of erectile dysfunction (ED) is 16% for men between the ages of 20 to 75. The preva...
What questions do I ask my doctor when talking about erectile dysfunction?
When you see your doctor about erectile dysfunction (ED) be prepared to ask about causes, tests,...
Can an Enlarged Prostate Cause Erectile Dysfunction?