How can I talk to my partner about my medication for erectile dysfunction?

If you have erectile dysfunction (ED), talking to your partner is part of the healing process. That includes discussing any medications your doctor has prescribed. It will help you if your partner understands how you need to take the medication, what to expect when it starts to work, and what side effects to look out for in case you need medical attention. Try to communicate with your partner openly about sex and your relationship. If you have difficulty talking about this topic, you may benefit from counseling, either for yourself or as a couple. 
It’s best to be open and honest with your partner about the medication you are taking for erectile dysfunction (ED). You may want to explain how the drug works, when you need to take it, and how often you can take it. Your partner should understand that you will not get an instant erection after taking the drug -- sexual stimulation and arousal is still needed.

Your partner should also be aware of side effects of ED drugs, like sudden decrease in blood pressure that causes fainting; sudden loss of hearing; sudden changes in vision, such as bluish vision, blurred vision, or sensitivity to light; and an erection persists several hours after, or is unrelated to, sexual stimulation. If any of these side effects occur, see your doctor right away and stop taking the drug. 

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Beware of Frauds and the Damage They Can Do
Whether it’s the true story of Frank Abignale, Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) in Catch Me If You Can, or a male sexual enhancement product called XtraHRD—ini...
What are some pros and cons of penile implants?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Penile implant surgery is a long-lasting treatment for erection dysfunction (ED) in that it allows a...
Could my erectile dysfunction go away on its own?
Sometimes erectile dysfunction resolves on its own. Maybe you cut back on drinking, resolved the...
How Does Drinking Alcohol Affect My Ability to Have an Erection?