How can I get the courage to talk to my doctor about erectile dysfunction?

It’s not easy finding the courage to talk to your doctor about erectile dysfunction (ED). One way to get more courage to have this important conversation is to think ahead of time about how you’ll talk to your doc. Use a phrase like “I’ve been having problems in the bedroom” or “I’ve been having erection problems.” Remember that erectile dysfunction is a medical problem, and your doctor treats medical problems every day. And having a satisfying sex life is part of being healthy.
Many men feel uncomfortable or embarrassed talking about erectile dysfunction (ED). As many as 30 million American men have difficulty getting or maintaining an erection, so you are not alone.

It’s common for men to experience occasional erection problems, but if ED occurs more than 25% of the time you should see your doctor. ED is often a sign that you have a health-related problem, such as heart disease, diabetes, nerve damage, or an endocrine (hormonal) disorder. These health conditions cause or contribute to ED, and if you have been diagnosed with one of them you have a natural opening to discuss erection problems with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Beware of Frauds and the Damage They Can Do
Whether it’s the true story of Frank Abignale, Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) in Catch Me If You Can, or a male sexual enhancement product called XtraHRD—ini...
What is erectile dysfunction (ED)?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
Erectile dysfunction (ED), sometimes called "impotence," is the repeated inability to get or keep an...
Can sexual health issues signal other medical conditions?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
All aspects of health are interrelated. Your sexual health will probably be impacted in some way by ...
When Should I Call My Doctor If I Have Erection Problems?