How can I get the courage to talk to my doctor about erectile dysfunction?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
It’s not easy finding the courage to talk to your doctor about erectile dysfunction (ED). One way to get more courage to have this important conversation is to think ahead of time about how you’ll talk to your doc. Use a phrase like “I’ve been having problems in the bedroom” or “I’ve been having erection problems.” Remember that erectile dysfunction is a medical problem, and your doctor treats medical problems every day. And having a satisfying sex life is part of being healthy.
Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Many men feel uncomfortable or embarrassed talking about erectile dysfunction (ED). As many as 30 million American men have difficulty getting or maintaining an erection, so you are not alone.

It’s common for men to experience occasional erection problems, but if ED occurs more than 25% of the time you should see your doctor. ED is often a sign that you have a health-related problem, such as heart disease, diabetes, nerve damage, or an endocrine (hormonal) disorder. These health conditions cause or contribute to ED, and if you have been diagnosed with one of them you have a natural opening to discuss erection problems with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Erectile Dysfunction May Predict Heart Problems
Erectile dysfunction not only causes problems in the bedroom -- it can also signal much larger health issues. A study from Johns Hopkins’ Ciccarone Ce...
What are some pros and cons of penile implants?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Penile implant surgery is a long-lasting treatment for erection dysfunction (ED) in that it allows a...
What percent of the male population is affected by ED?
Technically, it’s about 6%. But that’s kind of like the person who has one hand in ice water and the...
Is It Important to Look For Psychological Causes of Erectile Dysfunction?