What is the link between smoking and impotence or erectile dysfunction?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Nicotine is a very strong vasoconstrictor, which means that it causes arteries to tighten and prevents blood flow to the arteries of the penis. Studies show that men who smoke are more likely to develop erectile dysfunction (ED) than nonsmokers. Smoking also increases the risk of heart disease (a risk factor for ED).
Male smokers may be at risk for impotence, which is the inability to either achieve or maintain an erect penis. While the juries still out, some studies have found a link between these two issues.

Nicotine lowers blood flow to the penis, which makes it harder to get an erection. Think of penile blood flow as water shooting out of a garden hose. Then nicotine ambles over in a garish Hawaiian shirt and absently stands on the hose, causing it to go limp.

Over time, damage done to the blood vessels by smoking can affect a man's ability to achieve or sustain an erection. In other words, although it's not 100% clear that smoking will cause impotence, the evidence out there suggests a link. By not smoking, you are probably lowering your chance of having erection problems. To my mind, that sounds like reason enough to put down the cigarettes.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction Causes

Can medications cause peripheral neuropathy and ED?
Medications may cause peripheral neuropathy, which may in turn lead to erectile dysfunction (ED). Am...
Can measuring testosterone levels help diagnose the cause of ED?
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is associated with several health problems, including heart disease, diabe...
Are Obesity and Erectile Dysfunction Related?
Why Can't I Get an Erection?
Why Can't I Get an Erection?